Excel & Google Sheet are now AI Powered!
Plus: US Efforts to Regulate AI and Google is talking to EU on AI regulationsSubscribe Now For Free
Supported by Playroom: The AI powered multiplayer game building SDK
In Today's Episode:
- 10+ stories in "AI Updates" including ERNIE 3.5: China's Knowledge-Model beating ChatGPT and projections of AI contributing up to $4.4 trillion annually to the global economy
- 8+ stories in "AI Startups" including Runway, a startup building generative AI for content creators, raising $141M
- 6+ stories in "AI for Nerds" including Harnessing LLMs in Curricular Design: Using GPT-4 to Support Authoring of Learning Objectives
- 5 News AI App we tried this week including Galelio LLM studio
and much more.
Build multiplayer games in minutes
First choice for developers building social instant games
Whether you're developing a new game or transitioning an existing one to a multiplayer format, Playroom simplifies the process with low-code integration.
This section of the newsletter is sponsored by Playroom.
- Excel and Google Sheets are now empowered by Generative AI! (Check out this post)
- New AI Reduces Cancer Radiotherapy Time By Half: A new artificial intelligence (AI) technology reduces the wait time for cancer patients before starting radiotherapy.
- AI-made drug starts human trials: A pharmaceutical drug conceptualized by artificial intelligence will be tested on 60 people.
- Introducing ERNIE 3.5: Baidu’s Knowledge-Enhanced Foundation Model Takes a Giant Leap Forward
- OpenAI reportedly plans "supersmart" ChatGPT business assistant: The business version of ChatGPT could be equipped with in-depth knowledge of individual employees and their workplaces
- AWS Launches $100M Generative AI Innovation Center: Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), the cloud computing subsidiary of Amazon, has announced its significant investment in the development of generative artificial intelligence (AI)
- Oracle spending 'billions' on Nvidia chips this year - Ellison: As it expands a cloud computing service targeting a new wave of artificial intelligence (AI) companies
- Microsoft brings new AI-powered shopping tools to Bing and Edge: While a lot of the shopping features that Microsoft built into Edge over the years aren’t exactly fan favorites, this new set of tools actually looks useful.
- Cruise Engineering: Keeping our ride-hail platform safe: Here are several safeguards we’ve implemented as outlined in our Passenger Safety Plan to help keep our riders safe.
- Washington Gears Up to Regulate: The Plan to Educate the U.S. Senate on AI. President Biden spoke to a group of A.I. experts in San Francisco last week as his administration contemplates how to potentially regulate the technology. Also, Google is having productive talks with the EU on A.I. regulation, cloud boss says:
- NY bills would ban 'deepfakes,' put guardrails on artificial intelligence: Wide-ranging measures passed by the State Legislature this session include one to ban "deepfake" images online that most often are used to humiliate or coerce women
- China’s AI firms might further lose chip access in new US ban: The U.S. is weighing additional restrictions on AI chip export to China amid rising concerns over the use of advanced semiconductors for military modernization.
- Voice.ai raises $6M as its real-time voice changer approaches 500K users: It now has raised its first outside funding on the heels of early growth.
- Runway, a startup building generative AI for content creators, raises $141M: Runway, a startup building generative AI tools for multimedia content creators, today announced a $141 million extension to its Series C round from Google, Nvidia, and Salesforce, among others.
- Checkout Eight AI Startups Winning the Race for Tech Talent: Meet the Generative Eight — and The Next Gen of AI companies building the Future
- Bill Gates, along with Eric Schmidt and Nvidia, just minted another A.I. unicorn in a massive $1.3 billion funding round: San Francisco–based A.I. startup, Inflection AI, just raised $1.3 billion in a new round of funding
- Inflection lands $1.3B investment to build more ‘personal’ AI: A source familiar with the matter tells TechCrunch the tranche, which brings the company’s total raised to $1.525 billion, values Inflection at $4 billion.
- Celestial AI raises $100M to transfer data using light-based interconnects: Technologists with backgrounds in semiconductor engineering and photonics came to the joint realization several years ago that AI and machine learning workloads would quickly encounter a “data movement” problem.
- Augmedics snaps up $82.5M to advance spinal surgery using AR and AI: Spinal is one of the fastest-growing categories of surgery, with the number of operations taking place annually now approaching 8 million.
- FTX Halts Sale of $500 Million Stake in AI Startup Anthropic: The bankrupt crypto exchange holds $500 million in Anthropic shares and is a coveted asset.
- Gleamer, which provides AI software for radiologists, raises $29.5M: A five-year-old French startup that has developed AI software to help radiologists
- Reka emerges from stealth to build custom AI models for the enterprise: Large language models (LLMs) like OpenAI’s GPT-4 are all the rage these days, owing to their unparalleled ability to analyze and generate text.
- Vertical AI: The next logical iteration of vertical SaaS: Even the largest horizontal tech companies verticalize their sales organizations
- Slang taps AI to answer phone calls for brick-and-mortar businesses: “Slang acts like a reliable team member that gives accurate responses and helps drive more revenue.”
- Secretive hardware startup Humane’s first product is the Ai Pin:Humane, the startup launched by ex-Apple design and engineering duo Imran Chaudhri and Bethany Bongiorno, today revealed details about its first product: The Humane Ai Pin.
AI for Nerds
- Computer vision system marries image recognition and generation: MAGE merges the two key tasks of image generation and recognition, typically trained separately, into a single system.
- With Avery-1, developers no longer have to manually write much code 🚀and GitHub CEO: AI and software development are now inextricably linked: “AI and software development are now inextricably linked for the rest of our lives.”
- LMBot: Distilling Graph Knowledge into Language Model for Graph-less Deployment in Twitter Bot Detection
- RoboCat: Google DeepMind's innovative leap into AI-powered robotics: The self-improving AI agent RoboCat, demonstrates proficiency in operating various robotic arms, learning from minimal demonstrations, and enhancing its capabilities through self-generated data.
- Harnessing LLMs in Curricular Design: Using GPT-4 to Support Authoring of Learning Objectives
- Visually learn about Neural Network Activation Functions
- Systematic Investigation of Sparse Perturbed Sharpness-Aware Minimization Optimizer
- How can we Extend Context Window of LLMs and what are the benefits of it.
Tech/AI Apps We Tried
- We tried Galelio LLM studio to debug our LLMs 10x faster.
- Unity launches a new AI tool for game developers.
- Checkout Abacus AI, the world's first AI-assisted data science platform to build Applied AI systems and AI agents at scale. It does things like: 1. find issues in your data 2. clean the data 3. create features 4. train & deploy models 5. monitor models
- docus.ai: Chat with an AI Health Assistant to get outstanding health responses. Connect for second opinions from top Doctors via video call or reports. Make informed health decisions.
3 Useful Prompts To Try Out
- Develop mental models for complex concepts
- Prompt: "Help me create mental models or analogies to better understand and remember key concepts in [topic or skill]."
- Optimize learning through interleaving
- Prompt: "Create a study plan that mixes different topics or skills within [subject area] to help me develop a more robust understanding and facilitate connections between them."
- Use storytelling to enhance memory and comprehension
- Prompt: "Transform key concepts or lessons from [topic or skill] into engaging stories or narratives to help me better remember and understand the material."
- Checkout how to Generate Music From Text Using Google MusicLM
- Check out the free course on Explainable AI by Hardvard
- Microsoft is offering a generative AI certification program: It includes free courses from LinkedIn.